- Beef Chuck Roast: This recipe calls for 3-4 pounds of beef cubes slowly cooked in the crock pot.
- Butternut Squash: One butternut squash is cut into 2-inch cubes and when cooked, adds a nutty but sweet potato like flavor.
- Baby Potatoes: Red potatoes are the most ideal option when using a slow cooker to cook them. They won’t be mushy and are the perfect size.
- Vegetables: Onion, celery, and diced tomatoes are the classic beef stew vegetables that add an amazing flavor.
- Other Ingredients: Garlic for seasoning, cornstarch and beef broth for a flavorful thickening sauce, olive oil for browning the meat, Worcestershire sauce and Italian seasoning for added flavor, and fresh thyme for an herbal flavor. And, of course salt and pepper (not pictured).
- Fresh Parsley: Used for garnish.
- Step One – Add olive oil and cubed stew meat to a medium size skillet.
- Step Two – Cook the cubed meat until just brown to seal in flavor.
- Step Three – Remove the brown bits from the skillet and add the browned beef to the slow cooker.
- Step Four – Add butternut squash, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, onion, celery, baby red potatoes, salt and pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Step Five – Mix the ingredients to distribute evenly and then pour over the beef broth and cornstarch mixture. Place the thyme springs on top.
- Step Six – Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Remove the thyme sprigs and add the fresh parsley garnish before serving.
- Other options equivalent to butternut squash that can be used are diced pumpkin, sweet potatoes, or acorn squash.
- Adding more vegetables can make this soup more hearty. Hearty veggies to consider adding are carrots and mushrooms.
- Add red wine for an additional flavor. Some recipes like to use this in replacement of the beef broth altogether; however, adding it with it works as well.