- Carrots – fresh, peeled, and sliced carrots are used for this recipe and cooked to the perfect texture. You can use baby carrots, but cut them before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Peas – packages of frozen peas are added toward the end to prevent overcooking.
- Onion – adds both flavor and color to the overall dish.
- Butter – everything is better with butter, right? This peas and carrots recipe uses salted butter.
- Honey – adds the perfect amount of sweetness to each vegetable.
- Garlic – garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic) adds another layer of flavor.
- Seasonings – salt, pepper, and marjoram combine with everything else for a finishing touch.
- Step One – Add sliced carrots, onions, and quartered butter into the slow cooker (or slow cooker) prepped with nonstick cooking spray.
- Step Two – Add the remaining ingredients (except for peas).
- Step Three – Stir ingredients together and cook on low for 5 hours (or until carrots are tender).
- Step Four – Add the frozen green peas, stir, and cook for an additional 30 minutes. Serve warm.
- Make it vegan. To easily make this recipe vegan, simply substitute olive oil or vegan spread for butter.
- Add color. Add a can of corn, or a small bag of frozen corn to the mix to add color to this simple peas and carrots recipe.
- Go for a heartier side. Make this side dish cuisine extra hearty by mixing it with cooked brown rice (long-grain) or diced potatoes.